Kalpitiya was referred to by the old Tamils as Kav Putti and was a well known center point for Arab dealers. In 1544 the Portuguese attacked the region, naming the territory Kardiv Island. The King of Portugal presenting the region to the Jesuits, who manufactured a church here, set up a little battalion to shield it.
With an end goal to liberate the port from the Portuguese the King of Kandy, King Rasjasinha II, looked for help from the Dutch, who in1659 vanquished the zone yet did not return it to the King. Rather, they started development of a post in 1667, which was finished in 1676. Kalpitiya was deliberately significant for theDutch East India Company (VOC), as it empowered them to control the outer exchange of the Kingdom of Kandy, by controlling the enormous Muslim exchanging network the territory.
The castle is almost rectangular in shape, with partitions about 4 m (13 ft) high, constructed out of coral and limestone from the surrounding area. It has a single entrance, which fronts the lagoon, which has a pediment, with a belfry above and appears like the entrance to a church.
The yellow bricks that incorporate the entrance arch have been reportedly introduced particularly from Holland. The story is that the King of Kandy had granted permission solely to construct a church right here and that the Dutch had constructed the arch to misinform theKing into believing that this was simply a fortified church.
The yellow bricks that include the entrance arch were reportedly introduced mainly from Holland. The story is that the King of Kandy had granted permission to build a church here and that the Dutch had built the arch to deceive the King into believing that this was once truly a fortified church.
Kalpitiya Fort has four bastions on every corner, every with its personal protect post, with two smaller bastions going through the lagoon. Inside, the constructions are placed around the periphery creating an empty space in the middle of the fort. The partitions of a chapel, barracks, eating hall, commander’s residence and prison are still evident, though the roof shave been replaced. There had been two tunnels main away from the fortress — one led to the sea and the other to the Dutch Reformed Church approximately four hundred m (1,300ft) outside the fort. These tunnels are blocked and are inaccessible.
In 1795 the fortress was once surrendered to the British. The British endured with their army occupation of the Kalpitiya Fort till 1859.
Kalpitiya citadel was once omitted for many years until it was turned into a Sri Lankan Navy base for coaching and operational exercise during the escalation of the Sri Lankan CivilWar. The ramparts are in excellent circumstance today.